Many people are washing their skin with commercial soap made from water and detergents. Switching to a soap made with raw goat milk can benefit your skin’s health tremendously. You can use goat milk soap to maintain moisture, care for sensitive skin, and alleviate various skin conditions.
What are the skin benefits to using goat milk soap?
- Cleans deeply, but gently
- Keeps your skin healthy and moisturized
- Removes dead skin cells and encourages the growth of new skin cells
- Natural Goat’s milk is high in naturally occurring vitamins and minerals. The sweet cream content of the goat milk is one of several contributors to the moisturizing properties of the soap. Soaps made with raw goat milk contains Vitamin A, C, E, several B vitamins, amino acids and natural enzymes.
- Fat globules in natural goat milk are smaller and naturally homogenized, meaning they stay dispersed and do not easily separate out. This fat is critical to the emollient nature of the soap.
Natural Goat milk contains natural alpha hydroxy acids which help in the removal of dead skin cells. Over time, if dead skin cells are not removed, they will build up on the surface of the skin giving the appearance of weathering and aging. Pure goat milk is less allergenic than other soaps. People with skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, dryness and even acne have credited soap made from raw goat’s milk with reducing associated inflammation, skin flaking and itching.
How are commercial soaps made?
Commercial soaps and body washes contain detergents that in the process of cleansing, dry out the skin. Additives are used to balance the cleansing properties with the need for skin nourishment and moisture. Commercial soaps may also contain synthetic vitamins. In addition, glycerin is separated out of soap by the use of salt and then sold for use in more profitable products such as pharmaceuticals and medicines. Glycerin is that wonderful natural substance that draws moisture up through the skin layers. Glycerin slows drying and evaporation. Learn more from this blog post.
Historically, milk baths and soaps made from milk have been in use for thousands of years. Cleopatra is rumored to have taken daily goat milk baths in the pursuit of healthy skin.
Not all soaps are created equal
You will find goat milk soap in many stores and on many websites, so be sure to read the ingredient list. Some “handcrafters” use a goat milk base that is a commercially prepared product. They simply melt the base, add color and fragrance and will call it “handcrafted”. We use the raw milk from our own goats. We know what goes in to our nigerian dwarf goats, and what comes out of our dairy goats (read up on the wonders of nigerian dwarf goat milk). We never use powdered milk, goat milk extract, canned goat milk or commercially manufactured goat milk soap bases. The best moisturizing benefits come from only real unprocessed raw goat milk.
The milk is only one part of a quality soap. It must be paired with top quality oils and purified lye. Soap making oils are sensitive to heat, light, exposure to oxygen and should always be stored in a dark, cool and dry place The oils we purchase to make soap have been produced by a cold process extraction where-ever possible. This is an extraction process that is free of chemical solvents and high processing temperatures, which can destroy nutrients in a top quality oil.
Ingredients for each batch are hand weighed, mixed and poured. We use the cold -process method of soap making where no additional heat is added. We believe this assists in preserving vital nutrients. In addition, all soap is aged for a minimum of 6 weeks in a dark, cool, dehumidified environment. Before the soap is packed for sale, each bar is hand checked for complete curing, residual pH, quality of scent and accurate weight. We will not take shortcuts with soap quality to speed up production. High quality, nourishing artisanal soap takes time to produce.
If you have any questions concerning our natural goat milk soap making process, please feel free to contact us. If you have a favorite scent that we don’t stock, please let us know. We plan to expand our offerings based on customer preferences. Do don’t be bashful, tell us what you love to see and smell in soap!
Regardless of the current health of your skin, it will benefit from using a handmade soap, made with unprocessed, raw goat milk fresh from the farm. Our most popular soaps are our unscented for sensitive skin and essential oil blends.
Our Goat Milk Soap is:
- Handcrafted – we only use fresh goat’s milk (from our very own goats!) and organic, non-GMO oils to make our soap from scratch.
- Contains only natural and organic ingredients – each bar of our goat milk soap cleanses and refreshes dry, damaged skin while also helping to maintain your skin’s natural moisture.
- Is nourishing for your skin – When you use goat milk soap, it leaves you with skin that looks and feels younger